Thursday, June 24, 2010

Roebourne & Perth

Hi Everybody, hope you are all well.
I have been away over the last month spending a few days catching up with a dear friend Sue and her family in Roebourne WA.
When I left here the temperature was around 14degrees arriving in Roeboune later that day to a HOT 32degrees......it seemed so hot to me but mild to them as the temp in summer reaches up to 50degrees...lol...that why I went in the winter...lol.
Flying in was amazing looking out the window at the landscape below, the dirt is a real red and orange marble effect from the sky, the ghost gumtrees lining the dry river beds, it is so different but beautiful.
Went on a tour of a Rio Tinto iron ore mine, Cape Lambert where Sue's son is an apprentice diesel mechanic which boasts one of the longest and tallest jetty's in Australia....every thing was coated in red dirt...lol
Love the hard hat and goggles...lol..Regulation dress code...lol
I met some of the local artists while I was in Roebourne.
Their paintings were divine and all so different, each with their own style and use of colour.
Sue took me to a kids playground so I could get a picture of me with one of the retired BABY dump trucks they use in the mines up there.
Yep!!!! that's me near the wheel.
Had a great few days up there BUT was glad to be heading down south to Perth to the cooler climate....that heats just no good for the hair style.
Sue came with me to spend a little time and a lot of money in Perth, checking out the patchwork shops, dress shops and the craft show was in town..lol..we ate, slept and spent well...lol...I even brought some knitting needle's and wool to knit a scarf...We had a ball.
Perth is such a beautiful quiet city. I fell in love with the mosaic and Morton Bay Fig trees in King's Park....came home on a mission to buy and plant one BUT haven't yet....I know I will never live long enough to see it grow BUT my great great grand kids can enjoy or curse me for planting it ....lol.
Took the train down to Freemantle for the day, came back via a river cruise, had a pedicure and hot rock massage....now that was different, but fantastic. The weather was perfect. We both had a wonderful time.
We have made a pact to meet every two years, so two years from now we are heading to Sydney for a week of retail therapy, food and relaxation.
Below is a picture of Sue having tea and cake at a cafe in Freemantle.

So cheers for now.
Take care
Kerry x

3 comments:

Pauline said...

looks like a great trip mate...spose thats where you were when I rang eh? ha ha...sorry about that...
cheers

Pauline said...

thanks for the comment mate, but I think I am the lucky one this time...

Jo in TAS said...

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves!